Drug tests

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
I hang out with friends who occasionally smoke marijuana. Those days are behind me, yet I wonder about upcoming drug tests when I apply for an EMT-B position. What's the possibility of failing a drug test from being in a room where folks are smoking pot?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
There is a possibility, yes.

I'm not going to say you need new friends, but maybe you need to pick better times to hang out with them.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can't really answer that one for you, but my sugeestion would be to just stay away from the situation. I am not telling you to ditch yoru friends for new ones - that is a decision only you can make. However, when they do decide to light up, that should be your cue to head for the door. Why even put yourself into a situation where this is even an issue?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Erowid.org has fairly reliable test info. The link goes to their testing section.

OP
OP
Jay114

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the info and advice! The best thing I can do is just stay away when they are lighting up. Better safe then sorry...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked as an EMT while going through college. I'd go out a few nights a week. If I spelled pot I'd have to leave. I was drug tested at work, and I knew that they also did random drug tests. It just wasn't worth it.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
One of our fellow employees lost his job due to what he claimed was second hand smoke. his wife used pot for pain relief.
She hung herself.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
One of our fellow employees lost his job due to what he claimed was second hand smoke. his wife used pot for pain relief.
She hung herself.

Sounds like a well adjusted couple!

MRE

Forum Captain
I think you are probably fine. I am in college and have been in some of those situations. I also get drug tested for my summer internship. I've passed every time, but I did try to avoid being in a small room with people who were smoking. I don't know how long it takes for the THC or whichever chemicals they test for stay in your body, but if you have only have been exposed to secondhand smoke the levels of chemicals will be much lower at the start, and probably fall faster as well. As long as you stay away from any pot situations for a couple weeks or a month before the tests, you should have nothing to worry about.