CPR Board

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
Short board is pretty much for patients who code during transport (yet most around here don't keep it at easy access) or maybe for pediatric spinal immobilization. I heard before they days of the KED, they used to be used for extrication.

We carry a short board on my volly unit but not on the paid one. In the paleolithic days, we used them just like a KED. You put the board behind the patient in the car and secured them to it with cravats. Then you got them onto a long board just like with the KED. As annoying as the KED can be, it is faster than the short board. When I learned short board in an advanced first aid course in 1983, we saw a slide presentation about that wonderful new invention called the KED. And we drooled. BTW, in that slide presentation it showed a patient being raised out of a car (-roof) with a winch. I don't think that's included in the modern KED instruction book.:rolleyes:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I have a silly question, why not pull them on the floor? Its not like that takes a long time?

Because then you've got to pick them back up to put them on the stretcher. Not always the easiest of things to do.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a silly question, why not pull them on the floor? Its not like that takes a long time?

Found on bed, get them on the floor right away.

But if you transport, you'll need long board (to transfer to gurney, place equipment on, transfer to ER bed, flat surface for compressions en-route or if re-codes or intubation)

Short board only useful when you can't slide long board in...ex: during transport.

So, if you have the long board, don't use short board, because it has the benefits of short board, plus more.

There.
(except maybe an infant arrest, etc...something like that)