Checking pulse

Elysia M

Forum Ride Along
what is an easy way to calculate pulse rate in 10 seconds. Calculating to 1 minute?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Well there's 60 seconds in a minute... 6x10=60....

But I would take a pulse a little longer then 10 seconds if you want a more accurate reading.

OP
OP
Elysia M

Elysia M

Forum Ride Along
I get that. When I was doing trauma scenarios in class yesterday, the teacher was telling everyone to calculate by 4. I paid no attention to that until now. Thought he was doing it a different way. We have to check till 10 seconds for our scenarios.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I get that. When I was doing trauma scenarios in class yesterday, the teacher was telling everyone to calculate by 4. I paid no attention to that until now. Thought he was doing it a different way. We have to check till 10 seconds for our scenarios.

You check for no longer than 10 sec on a pulseless, apneic pt (trauma or CPR scenario). You check 4x15 on a live one. The difference between the two is that you palpate for presence of pulse in the former, and you measure the heart rate in the latter.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
image.jpeg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
If I have to give a specific number, 15x4. If I am just getting a general idea then I palp and decide too slow/fast or normal.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For a quick check of too fast / too slow, I'll do a 6 second check and multiply by 10. Otherwise it's a 15 second check (double that and double again) for a 1 min rate. If something's not quite right, then I'm going to do a full minute and I'm going to be paying a LOT of attention to regularity...

Reactions: drl

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
If I actually count a rate 15 seconds x 4.

That's a big "if" though as I very rarely actually count a rate. Manually palpating a pulse is checking for presence, strength, regularity, and a general feel for fast/slow/normal. The actual rate is going to be displayed on the monitor the EMT is attaching to the patient as I introduce myself.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
first minute with the patient I always take a quick (5 second pulse) to check it (fast, slow, regular, irregular), also get skin temp and feeling (diaphoretic, dry, cool, warm, hot): I don't care about rate at this point.

When I am checking for rate I do it for 15 to 30 seconds depending on how slow: then multiply by 4 or 2 depending how long I checked it