CA ambulance dl test

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
When I took it, pretty much every practice question from AMR was on the test. And by pretty much, I think I mean 100%...which is what I passed with. The actual book makes it almost impossible to pass first time...I swear there's stuff in the test they don't actually officially say in the study book.

As far as behind the wheel, DMV says the ambulance driver's employer is given the responsibility of training them. I guess takes a load off of DMV, and employer can teach them how to actually drive code 3 (can't do that during DMV test).

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
An ambulance is different from your regular car. It is bigger, heavier, and handles MUCH differently. It also has lights and sirens.

Common sense dictates that there needs to be some form of education/certification as Emergency Vehicle Operator's Training (EVOC). Some states require it, most companies require it, and any insurance company will require it if you talk with them.

California's DMV does the classroom certification in EVOC, with a guidebook and a test. AFAIK, they are unique, but I think PA is moving in that direction.
Well then ok. I was not informed of this. I started with rescue back in 2000 and the extent of my training was the chief taking me out and doing a few basic things. He told me as long as I can park it in the bay without taking off the mirrors I was good. Seems to me I will keep my mouth shut bout it till it becomes and issue

Last edited by a moderator: