Board & Collar for Nursing Home Falls

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It definitely is the national standard. If individual states choose not to be on board then that's them abrogating the standards.
I must agree, I can't find any national standard saying what you are claiming. In fact, I would argue that the national standard is still to board and collar more than they should, and certain individual states are changing their individual standards, not the nation as a whole has not changed.

If you can cite a source, I would gladly accept it as the national standard, and admit that you are correct.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
How can anything be called a "national standard" when there is a paucity of literature on the subject? We can all say what we think is best but where is the evidence?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
The "national standards" are available on the NHTSA website. Of course, they are just guidelines and have no direct legal applicability.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Maybe he means the national position paper from NAEMSP and ACS-CoT?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Certainly not the national standard, sadly. Slowly that will change, but the national standard is more of a consensus than anything else.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you're looking for a national standard, shouldn't we be looking at what's taught in the DOT standard curriculum?

Last I saw, that included a board and collar. Of course, each state is welcome to add or subtract as they, and the medical directors, see fit... But let's not confuse consensus with curriculum.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
My point was that there is really no "standard" since there is very little evidence. It is more recommendations based on small studies looking at other things and opinion. I also get the feeling that CT doesn't realize that the protocols in CT don't necessarily apply across the board, especially in areas where there is this much controversy and lack of evidence. I remember my CFR/EMT classes, we were taught that our protocols were gospel and infallible.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I remember my CFR/EMT classes, we were taught that our protocols were gospel and infallible.
I must admit, I was taught the same. Even when stuff didn't make sense, and I questions the instructors on it, the fuddled their way through an explanation that didn't make much logical sense, but when I was going to be evaluated on it, and told "this is the standard of care, and if you get called into court, they will bring in your text book and ask you why you didn't do what your text book said," I decided that maybe the best defense should be "that's what i'm taught, that's what my boss wants me to do, and that's what my medical director wants me to do... if you disagree, you should take it up with someone higher up the food chain."

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
My county recently adopted NEXUS like standard for field personal, even EMR in SAR teams.
So OP's patient in here would be simply put on position of comfort and transport.