BLS First Aid Kit - Special Events

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Hey Yall!

I am signed up as a first responder for a large scale bike race event. This is a volunteer type gig with mostly EMTs and RNs. I am going to be in a first response vehicle (private non-ems) with another EMT. We are required to bring a first aid kit and I was not sure what to put in it. I was thinking of putting in the following:

Chemical Ice Packs
4x4s
Tape
Bandaids
CPR Face Mask
Oral Glucose
OTC pain killers

Another thing to remember is that I will NOT have medical direction. I am acting as a first responder only, not an EMT with full scope of practice.

Thanks!

PS Remember that I am working as an EMT, meaning I get paid almost nothing. So as much as things like an AED, airways, oxygen and stuff like that would be useful to have, I can't afford it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Because I believe in helping my community. This is not the purpose of this thread. If you have a suggestion for a BLS kit then great, otherwise you're wasting time.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
If they can afford to sponsor a "large scale bike race" then they can afford to hire medical standby. I work medical standby weekly. I would not waste my own money to put together a kit, unless the volunteer work was truly "helping the community."

Anyways, don't waste money on ice packs. Bring a cooler with ice and bags. I don't know how many people they're expecting, but we run through 20lbs of ice easily.

I would not give out meds in your position.

Everything else looks fine. About all you're going to do is sit around, and call 911 if needed. :wacko:

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
The ice packs I already have. Its a 100 mile bike ride raising money for ms research so yes, it helps helps the community. Thanks for the advice!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
The ice packs I already have. Its a 100 mile bike ride raising money for ms research so yes, it helps helps the community. Thanks for the advice!

Have you talked to your employer about donating an ambulance standby? Private companies will often do that in exchange for media exposure (official sponsorship, etc.). It would work out a lot better for everyone.

Even if it's just at-cost,
If they can afford to sponsor a "large scale bike race" then they can afford to hire medical standby.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
This is already through off an off-shoot of the medical reserve corps. Its a non-profit group that staffs events as medical events. They provide medical kits to a few of the response teams (there are 10). They just like people to bring their own personal kit of basic stuff as we don't charge for this. They provide food, lodging and gas for us, but we provide the rest. At least that is how I understand it.

We work with the local FDs but because the race is so long they have us to deal with minor injuries and as first response. We have HAM operators that ride along with us and communicate directly with the local 911 dispatch if we need a transport.

My company would not do anything they were not getting paid for, trust me. They are greedy!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Since you will be acting with no medical direction at all I would advise against any kind of medications, prescription and OTC.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Good thinking, I was thinking of getting ride of the ASA and APA and keeping the insta-glucose as it basically cake frosting!

benasack2000

Forum Crew Member
Hey i'm also with an MRC and CERT unit. I'm an EMR and I've worked a few races and fairs before sometimes with and without an EMT-B. Completely understand your situation being an MRC guy. I had to bring my own kit every time just due to the MRC/CERT region I work at is friggen huge and they can't provide equipment even at minor deployments. Would advise not taking any OTC medications. Anyway, bring first aid type-stuff; 4x4s, band aids, alcohol preps, neosporin spray, tape, roller gauze, elastic bandages, SAM splint, CPR mask, gloves, oral glucose, triangular bandages, shears, tweezers etc. Bring your own cooler with ice and a bunch of sandwich baggies to make ice packs. Bring some bottled water in the cooler too for heat-related illness and wound irrigation. If 911 is close, you don't need any more then that.

Good Luck!

Last time I was at a race I got a diabetic not feeling well, an arm fracture, plus a TON of owe-eees.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Hey i'm also with an MRC and CERT unit. I'm an EMR and I've worked a few races and fairs before sometimes with and without an EMT-B. Completely understand your situation being an MRC guy. I had to bring my own kit every time just due to the MRC/CERT region I work at is friggen huge and they can't provide equipment even at minor deployments. Would advise not taking any OTC medications. Anyway, bring first aid type-stuff; 4x4s, band aids, alcohol preps, neosporin spray, tape, roller gauze, elastic bandages, SAM splint, CPR mask, gloves, oral glucose, triangular bandages, shears, tweezers etc. Bring your own cooler with ice and a bunch of sandwich baggies to make ice packs. Bring some bottled water in the cooler too for heat-related illness and wound irrigation. If 911 is close, you don't need any more then that.

Good Luck!

Last time I was at a race I got a diabetic not feeling well, an arm fracture, plus a TON of owe-eees.

Thanks so much, this was super helpful!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I commend your willingness to volunteer. I was part of MRC. I wouldn't volunteer and buy equipment for my whole career but for community involvement and resume padding its great. Good investment. I was also apart of our sheriff SAR. They provide minimum required equipment but all team members spend $500-1000 for additional equipment. The experience is worth it. Good for you.

As others said, meds should be avoided. Oral glucose even is hinky. I'm not sure on the laws, maybe you can contact local medical director for advise and information on the good Sam laws, but most medical supplies (including AEDs) have a disclaimer that say "Not for sale or use except under order by physician."

Maybe that allows you to give OTC asa or oral glucose without medical direction but don't make that assumption without finding out first. Even then lawyers love loopholes. No lives were saved with ASA for pain relief and a juice box works great for diabetics :)

Good luck!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's the shiftiest thing I've ever heard... "Hey will you work for free as a medical provider, for free? Oh, by the way, you need to bring your own supplies."

Lawsuit waiting to happen unless you stick to handing out bandaids and ice packs. I don't even think Good Samaritan laws would apply in this case since you're "contracted" as a medical provider. Your purpose for being present is to provide medical care so in most states that removes you from eligibility for Good Sam laws. Check your state laws though.

I'd bring some kling, 4x4s, bandaids, a cooler of ice and a box of freezer bags for said ice. You don't need anything more than that in the position you'll be in and if you do you should be calling for EMS, even if it's just to cover your own ***.

I get wanting to help your community but we don't get paid enough to support ourselves and our families in most places, let alone to volunteer our time and pay for our own supplies.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
I have participated as an unpaid bls / 1st Aid level responder for similar events, though not through an MRC.

I would HIGHLY encourage you and your associates to look at obtaining personal malpractice insurance. I know HPSO for one offers a discounted rate for Vollie EMS.Their policies specifically cover special event type work in addition to paid employment. Cost for a bls provider is in the 75-100 dollar range for a 1 year policy that covers you regardless of location or venue.

I would not vollunteer at such an event without some sort of cya coverage, as I can almost promise that the organization that organized this bike rally does not have insurance to cover medical/1st Aid providers.

Good Sam would not likely cover you due to the fact that you are showing up with the intention of providing care.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I have participated as an unpaid bls / 1st Aid level responder for similar events, though not through an MRC.

I would HIGHLY encourage you and your associates to look at obtaining personal malpractice insurance. I know HPSO for one offers a discounted rate for Vollie EMS.Their policies specifically cover special event type work in addition to paid employment. Cost for a bls provider is in the 75-100 dollar range for a 1 year policy that covers you regardless of location or venue.

I would not vollunteer at such an event without some sort of cya coverage, as I can almost promise that the organization that organized this bike rally does not have insurance to cover medical/1st Aid providers.

Good Sam would not likely cover you due to the fact that you are showing up with the intention of providing care.

Just my 2 cents.

Good thinking! I have had it for a little while :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked a paid event. We used lots of ice packs, water, and had lots of requests for 2nd skin.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Welcome to "working down" (having a certificate superior to your roll as provider). I quit an outfit over that.

As an EMT you have skills superior to basic first aid, and some ethical and possibly civil requirements to act at that level.

Whereas without medical direction/protocols you cannot act except as a basic first aider. Field techs are required to follow professionally written protocols, so if there are none, there can be no acts. Whereas simple good samaritan first aid does not require protocols.

Do good first aid. Sugar should be ok if the pt is conscious (we teach it in basic first aid at Am Red Cross). Use your superior evaluative skills to know when to pull the big red lever for help and to keep bystanders from making things worse. Never "be an EMT for free" without medical control and its protocols.