BLS - Basic Office Equipment

yoshgoodman

Forum Ride Along
So I have just done a BLS to volunteer on a community ambulance service.
I work in a large office and the asked me to put together a list of stuff they would need in case of emergency:

Some Info:
Live in South Africa
Average response time of ambulance 30mins.
No current first kit.
Time to closest hospital 15 mins

I have the following:

Must Haves:
AED
Oxygen Tank
Non rebrether mask
Bag VALVE mask
Scissors
Op Tubes
Gloves

Nice extras:
Glucometer
Stethoscope
Thermometer
Sphygmomanometer
Splints
Emergency blanket
Nasal Cannula Mask
Alcohol Swabs

What would you add or remove?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure about South Africa, but you may need legal authorization to use those things in an emergency.

Things I thought of:
OPA/NPA?
Tourniquet?
Dressings and bandages?
Saline solution?
Cervical collar?
Pen and paper?
Triage tags?
Protective face mask?
Chemical ice packs?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
For an office setting, I would just stick with an AED and maybe a glucometer (if you have diabetics around the office that don't have their own for some reason). I don't see anyone being dismembered by a copy machine and requiring a tourniquet...

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
It sounded like this was for a workplace EMS team?

But if not, less is more.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
All of that seems reasonable...

Why are you waiting for EMS, if their response time is double the time to a hospital?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
All of that seems reasonable...

Why are you waiting for EMS, if their response time is double the time to a hospital?
There are still plenty of reasons to wait. Most people don't have the ability and/or shouldn't be transporting an unconscious person down to a car and 15 minutes to a hospital. Chest pain, abdominal pain, mild SOB, "sick person"? Sure, toss them in a car and go.

Riaan Vorster

Forum Ride Along
In SA even with a BLS (EMT-B equivalent), you are still regarded as a FIRST AIDER BY LAW, in the office setting! Very strict HSE legislation. Although you are higher qualified, not even your boss should force you to stock things like OP/ NPA etc. Even Tourniquet's are forbidden in the current scope. A pain in the arse, but keep it simple, and keep out of trouble, out of Department of Labour's way...

A standard regulation 3 first aid kit + your BP cuff/ steth/ AED should keep you safe... That's unfortunately law.. (it sucks I know).

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
An AED and a commercial workplace first aid cabinet should do.
Add a trauma kit/burn kit if such hazard is likely (heavy machinery, restaurant kitchen)