American Heart to start new PHP BLS courses

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
Just got an email from my Training Coordinator from AHA. New model of learning was released yesterday by AHA for Prehospital providers. Now there is an online portion + skills time with one of the CPR instructors. scenarios modeled after real field experiences.

Take a look from AHA
goo.gl/ONDH5a

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm curious to see if the course requires (or tries to do) >2 person CPR. I'd like to see that done in courses more often.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm curious to see if the course requires (or tries to do) >2 person CPR. I'd like to see that done in courses more often.
It says it focuses on 2-6 teams. Send like it will, that's good.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
???? 1 asynchronous ventilation every 10 compressions?!?!?!

many areas have already implemented this and are showing great results, trials (which I am trying to find again) show a much smaller decrease in CPP than a pause for ventilation.

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I need to renew my CPR cert soon & I saw this as well when I was looking at the AHA website the other night.

Drax

Forum Captain
many areas have already implemented this and are showing great results, trials (which I am trying to find again) show a much smaller decrease in CPP than a pause for ventilation.

I work in a county that utilizes it.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

Anecdotally, how is it working? How easy is it to get the timing right? Have you seen any difference in "hands-off" time?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Anecdotally, how is it working? How easy is it to get the timing right? Have you seen any difference in "hands-off" time?

So far, so good. We also use it with manual CPR along with using the LUCAS 2 in continuous compression mode when we get it started. I guess I haven't noticed the timing being particularly difficult. I think our main point has been that ventilations are given a secondary importance to compressions, at least until we get the patient intubated. I don't know the direct comparison between techniques, but I know we've routinely had >90% hands/machine on compression fractions.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

we use this in my county, it works great! easier than 30:2 and we have instituted many other changes as well so its hard to say what is causing an increase in survival... but in the past 5 years that we have been actively implementing changes in our resuscitation (read: not AHA guidelines) we have seen a jump from 24% to 46% survival in shockable rhythms. the county adjacent to us has a 5-7% survival rate and they utilize AHA guidelines.