Agility testing as part of pre employement testing

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Does your department do this? if so, are we talking more than just your standard can you lift this many pounds, can you walk up these steps with this many pounds. or does your department do something along the lines of a timed mile, push ups, sit ups?

Do you think agility testing should be required with pre-employement testing?

This thread does not pertain to fire based EMS, as we know that the Fire side of your job requires and agility test before getting hired.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The ones that I have put applications into don't have a physical test.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
The private service I work for required 2. Pre hire we had to do a lifting course, stairs, and 5 minutes of compressions. Post hire we had to do various lifting tests with a physician. I personally wish there were yearly testing, it would definitely help me not have to work with someone that can't physically keep up with the job anymore. I think you should have to be in atleast half decent shape to be in ems.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
The county service here does require a physical test (which I passed, although I wasn't hired), the IFT service I work for never required one.

tcripp

Forum Probie
I work for a county based 911 service and, yes, a physical agility test had to be passed as part of the hiring process. There are two other county systems nearby that both require the same.

If I remember correctly, you have 12 minutes to complete. You must walk to the ambulance, put the monitor and airway bag on the stretcher and move to a pre-designated spot. You and your partner take the two items down some bleacher steps, swap the equipment and go back up. Put the bags on the ground then lower the stretcher.

You walk back down the step, pick up a stretcher with 160 lbs of weight (simulated patient), go back up the steps and load the patient to the stretcher...remember to secure your patient. You each pick up the monitor/bag and then move the stretcher around an uneven course and go back to the ambulance. Load your patient and your bags. Move the patient from the stretcher to the side bench.

You then go to the ambulance bay where you will proceed to do 5 minutes of CPR. At the end of 5 minutes, you must take the regulator off an O2 tank and then put it back on, testing for leaks.

We also do it annually along with other skills testing...and a written test over our protocols.

I've heard rumor that our chief wants to add in a running portion. ;)

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for a county based 911 service and, yes, a physical agility test had to be passed as part of the hiring process. There are two other county systems nearby that both require the same.

If I remember correctly, you have 12 minutes to complete. You must walk to the ambulance, put the monitor and airway bag on the stretcher and move to a pre-designated spot. You and your partner take the two items down some bleacher steps, swap the equipment and go back up. Put the bags on the ground then lower the stretcher.

You walk back down the step, pick up a stretcher with 160 lbs of weight (simulated patient), go back up the steps and load the patient to the stretcher...remember to secure your patient. You each pick up the monitor/bag and then move the stretcher around an uneven course and go back to the ambulance. Load your patient and your bags. Move the patient from the stretcher to the side bench.

You then go to the ambulance bay where you will proceed to do 5 minutes of CPR. At the end of 5 minutes, you must take the regulator off an O2 tank and then put it back on, testing for leaks.

We also do it annually along with other skills testing...and a written test over our protocols.

What service is this, and what are the two services around you that do?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
My service had a multiple parts to the lift testing.

1) Job based testing: lifting the stair chair w/ manikin up and down two flights of stairs (repeat in opposite positions); fore and aft onto stretcher, load and unload (repeat in opposite positions); backboard lift and carry. The dummy weight was not too high, I think about 175 lbs. The focus was on proper mechanics, not strength.

2) Physical Agility Evaluation. Performed offsite by Abiltywerks Inc. This is a static lift test. You pull on a non-moving bar hooked up to a computer in various positions which measures your lifting strength. Test also includes a cardio component (steps) and dexterity as well as range of motion measurements.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Do you think agility testing should be required with pre-employement testing?

Yes, and annually after that. Too many people pass the test to get hired, and then get out of shape and put their partners and patients at risk for injury.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Short answer: many private services require a lift test, and the ability to move patients in different ways-- lift a stretcher, carry a stair chair, lift a longboard, etc. None, at least that I've heard of are looking at agility per se, simply the ability to complete standardized skills used often in EMS.

tcripp

Forum Probie
What service is this, and what are the two services around you that do?

Out of Texas - Fayette County, Austin/Travis County and Williamson County. The details can be found on their individual web pages.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

This sounds fun! I think I'll suggest it as a demonstration of how pitiful some of our people are. This is completely the layout of a labor-intensive call.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of Texas - Fayette County, Austin/Travis County and Williamson County. The details can be found on their individual web pages.

Williamson County doesn't have an agility test, I know Austin does. Does Fayette?

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Wake County

I should note that the Wake County test is nearly identical to the Durham County test, in case anyone wanted more details.

Why the fail during their testing process? How hard is it to get on with those Dept.s