acadian ambulance medic stories

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
have a nice day everyone for now on i will not post anything on this blog post i will do others like my emt nemsa student life

Courtney, I'm going to share a piece of information with you, one that will serve you well in life.

Never accept things at face value, and don't run away from discussions that challenge your notions and perceptions of the world around you, particularly when those discussions are about something of real consequence, and you could learn something important and useful.

Believe it or not, I was once an Acadian medic. I found that Acadian was a very, very limited company, that they treated their highly-trained, dedicated employees as disposable, and they only allowed mediocre patient care (but would gladly transport any patient, regardless of whether or not their needs could be met). Ever had to stare at a woman in horrible pain and know that I couldn't do a thing for it because Acadian only stocked a tiny amount of fentanyl on their truck (and I had to jump through unusual hoops to be able to use the fentanyl and versed I did have)? Ever had Acadian dispatch refuse to activate local 911 and send you on a 30-mile response to a contracted urgent care for an arrest "because they're a contracted facility"? Ever see half your pay go to healthcare benefits because BCBS Louisiana is expensive as hell, but you're somehow only worth 39k/year? Ever get held on a truck because they couldn't staff it and do 26 hours straight? Yeah.

That's Acadian to me.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked for Acadian for 60 days in 2005. I first went into LA as part of the disaster response for Hurricane Katrina in 2005. After that fiasco, Acadian had so many displaced employees and the state was trashed, smashed and just plain awful. Acadian was hiring contract workers to fill the gap. Then lo and behold, Hurricane Rita struck and we had shenanigans redoux. I lived at one of their stations and worked there for 60 days. I made a ton of cash but gained great insight into Acadian. Yes, there were some positives which I actually loved about them, but I also saw a lot of negatives (this is how it is for EVERY service) so it is always up to you to do your homework and decide what works for you. What you should not do is get so rigid in your mindset that you can not allow anyone else or even yourself to challenge what is in front of you. You will remain blind if you are never comfortable enough to ask why.

Even in a perfect system where one is seemingly happy, it is imperative you look around and ask why. Why do we do this, why do we do it this way? Can we improve? Can we learn from others even if it is actually learning what NOT to do? We cannot just sit tight and think we are the greatest and best without critically examining ourselves continuously. I would take a "mediocre" service that strives for this over a service which refuses to acknowledge the process.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think it's falling on deaf ears, guys. @AcadianExplorer1910 isn't interested in learning; she wants her notions confirmed.